Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Homeland on the horizon

It seems I have once again agreed to take our annual vacation in OH's homeland. How the F did I manage that? Especially after last year's protestations and this year's tantrums - in fact a decade of protestations and tantrums.

Thing is, I love the man, and realise that I was expecting something of him that I wouldn't have been prepared to agreed to myself. Plus I'm insanely tired and realised there wasn't a lot of sense in paying money we don't have to spend a week away together, having the 'family holiday' I aspired to, arguing over whose turn it was to sleep/chase Babe around the swimming pool. What's more, having lived abroad and feeling very comfortable in several European countries where one or the other of us knows the ropes and the language, I feel strangely insecure at the thought of going somewhere new. How very parochial!

So, in two weeks' time (I've bought the tickets, so let's hope I get New Babe's passport application processed in time, got an appointment tomorrow - eek!) we're flying off the Greek island that is a short boat ride away from his hometown. And to an insane number of fawning relatives. But hopefully, too, some simple excursions down to the sea front with aunties who will help with the kids while I dip in the ocean. Watch this space!

PS I'll be sleeping in the hotel opposite his home. That is my bottom line.
PPS Re para two and my comment about 'loving the man' etc: he was clearly not going to back down on this one anyway. I am going to take the pertinent move of buying cheap tickets for him and Babe to go to visit the family over the New Year as well, to avoid a month of argument that results in costly tickets. But for a week next May, the world will be my oyster :)

No comments: