Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 2 - bedding in

Actually it's now day four but you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a lifetime. I have just spent twenty minutes with OBrother confirming that yes, if a coin says '20' on it, it's 20p. And yes, a '1' means 1p. And surprise surprise, '50' means 50p. And no, '2' does not mean 20. Those of you who know me well will be truly amazed to hear that I held my tongue during this exchange - which I suspect was perpetuated as a bonding exercise. Anyway.

On Sunday the brothers spent most of the day painting. They also decided to strip off the wallpaper and plaster the cracks. And move the wardrobes and take down the curtains etc etc. They want to change the bed frames and buy new mattresses. And make the room look the very best it can. The lock on the door also needs some work which Khan said he doesn't mind them doing.

I am having to restrain myself from reminding them that this is a shitty rented room in a shitty rented house that they have no legal right to remain in (as far as I know) with a potentially psychotic landlord living beneath them.

But they are taking this all quite seriously and treating the room as a place they might be spending quite a while occupying. And as such, being positive and making it ship-shape. Credit to them, I guess. It's a trite thing to say, but taking a life position of positivity and optimism gets you a whole lot further than being negative and depressed. At least I hope it does. And at least this work is giving them something to do.

Mr Khan appeared to collect their rent and accosted OH in the hall and told him, and then me, that he had 'lots of work' for them. 'Five thousand pounds' work. He is apparently away 'on a job' for three or four days and will be back this week to discuss it. I don't know what to think. He told me some more stuff about his mysterious role as a secret policeman - that he is paid to listen in to terror suspects' conversations at places like train stations, because he speaks so many languages. Surely that isn't something he'd tell me about? Perhaps I misunderstood. Opinions, please! Nor are we sure what to make of the fact that when DBrother went downstairs to get something from the kitchen, he passed Mr Khan's door, which was half open, and saw him watching something about a suicide bomber or similar on the telly. When Mr Khan saw him he yelped, jumped up and slammed the door in his face. Hum. He really is rather odd.

Five minutes later he appeared upstairs with what the brothers described as 'the most disgusting drink of their lives', which they poured down the sink when he wasn't looking. When pressed to describe it further, they said it was not coffee, but tea. With milk. Boy oh boy that's an olfactory sensation they're going to be presented with a lot if they stay in this country! I had to smile.

Yesterday the brothers went back to do a third coat and came home saying they wanted to paint the walls a colour, so that all stains would be finally obliterated and all the 'microvia' (germs) gone. So this morning they have set off for a well-know DIY outlet that is about half-an-hours' walk away. Luckily, it is not raining. I was kind of hoping that the room might be ready for occupation by tomorrow, although if the beds/mattresses situation remains unresolved - I think they want to get new ones and I know I would too - it most likely won't be til the weekend. More soon!

No comments: